Pinot Bianco

Alto Adige - Südtirol Doc

The Pinot Bianco grape variety was first introduced in South Tyrol circa mid-1800’s. As the main variety used to replace the old Schiava vineyards, Pinot Bianco, had been the most cultivated white grape variety in South Tyrol for years. Planted on both sides of the river Adige on the Salorno plain, this vine grows on silty and silty- sandy soils originating from recent alluvial deposits. Of a straw-yellow colour, the wine has an agreeable and characteristic aroma with notes of apple, peach and apricot. Fresh and pleasing on the palate.

Vine Pinot Bianco

Vineyard location Municipality of Salorno (BZ)

Exposure and altitude West, South-West; 220 m ASL

Soil composition Silty, silty-sandy, originating from recent alluvial deposits

Training system Guyot; simple Trentino pergola

Planting density 5,000 vines/hectare

Vinification process

Manual harvesting in mid September; soft pressing; static decantation of the must; fermentation at controlled temperature in fibre-glass reinforced tanks; ageing on the lees for about 5/6 months in concrete tanks for 90% of the process and in third and fourth passage French oak for the remaining 10%.